Intellectual Loneliness

Intellectual loneliness is a term that has got a few people to its task. It can be defined as any loneliness of thought or result of actions pertaining to a person's intellectual prowess. The person can be mired in doubts about his success or profundity of them and tend to make his actions like yielding to his muse, mellow. Though this can be seen in his literary works, there can be no great deviation from their quality in the foreground.

A large part of this could be seen in the works of the famous poet, Rabindranath Tagore. He was known for his keen intellect and bogged down by this loneliness but never stopped yielding to his muse. He even likened his muse to a divine inspiration.

His spiritual thoughts aside, the intellectual loneliness was found in his stand on various issues relating to our country in his time. Among many, the few issues were nationalism that was taking root in India. Even his alienation from the extremist viewpoint during the freedom struggle was opposed and his countrymen did  not pay heed to his ideals. There were absolutely no takers for these as the people were not keenly bent upon his thoughts, never understanding the portents.

I too am privy to intellectual loneliness. An incident can be recalled here. I had some craving for a delectable dish and took my friend to an upmarket restaurant to satiate my hunger. The moment we reached there, I couldn't help but joke about me leaving my wallet at home. As my home was far away from this dining place, my friend was perturbed.

I pacified him that he could be left as security and I can bring my wallet and pay the bill without doing the dishes in the hotel- this is the very thing people at restaurants do if someone doesn't pay the bill. He mistook me and thought that I would leave him as a security guard in the dining joint and reach home. He replied with callousness that the eatery cannot afford him to work there.

Such loneliness is a daily part of people's life who are blessed with intellect. History has shown this dire trait in such person's life. Be it poets or writers being at the mercy of such situations can make them retract into their cocoon and devise a new approach to things that bring them about in everyday life. Intellect bewitches onlookers but demands their continued exoneration from blame. I always tread with caution.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to be Motivated in Daily Life?

On Timidity

The Reading Isotope